In Minnesota, you need a permit to build a deck depending on the size and type of the deck. If your property is less than two acres, a permit isn’t required for decks that are no larger than 24″ above grade level. Although you can always check boat lifts for sale Minnesota.
However, if you have more acreage or plan on including features such as roofs, railings, or stairs, then you will need to apply for a permit regardless of whether it’s over or under 24″. You also need a permit if your deck is attached to a structure with frost footing, such as a garage. Also, you will need a permit if the deck is on an accessible route. Applications for a deck permit can be submitted online through the ePermitting portal. The website also has guides and help articles to refer to if you have any questions or concerns about your application.
Deck permits are only valid for one year, so it’s important to note that it may take several months to complete if you’re starting the permit process. Once a building permit has been issued, construction must begin within 90 days. If construction isn’t started within 90 days, the permit becomes void, and you’ll need to start over.
What Are Some Benefits of Building a Deck?
Many benefits come with building your deck. These include:
– Building a deck increases the resale value of your home. A well-constructed one will add significant value to your home, often recouping the cost of construction. It gives you an upper hand over your competitors when it’s time to sell.
– A deck is a great place for entertaining guests. You can host barbecues, parties and other events on your deck, and everyone will have plenty of room to spread out. It is a great place for gatherings with family and friends. Whether you’re hosting a Fourth of July barbecue or just enjoying a summer evening, your deck will be the perfect spot.
– A deck is an excellent way to improve the function of your home. If you don’t have much outdoor space, a deck can give you the extra room you need for activities such as gardening, playing with your pets or simply relaxing in the sun. It’s a great way to add value and functionality to your home.
– A deck is a great way to get some exercise. Instead of sitting in front of the TV or going for a run, why not try walking on your deck? It’s a great way to spend some time outdoors and get some exercise. You can install exercise tools on your deck to make it even more fun.
– A deck is a great way to improve the look of your home. It can be a focal point for your outdoor space and add beauty and style to your property. With the right design, materials and construction, your deck will be the envy of your neighbourhood.
– Decks provide a space for plants and trees to grow, which improves the serenity and privacy of your home. You can also install features such as a garden or pond to make your deck even more beautiful and inviting.
Permits and regulations are vital for deck construction, and it’s essential to be aware of what is required in your area. Thus, you will not have any problems with the local municipality.